Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Sunshine in a Box

I have quickly become friends with one of the most wonderful people I’ve ever not met. I have, by design, always limited the number of those I consider “intimate” friends. Many friends that cross your path are just passing through. And then there are those that you know, the instant you (don’t) meet them, that they will be your friend forever.

These are the people I love the most. It is with these particular people that you can just be yourself no matter what. Becoming true friends with this type of person is effortless. You look forward to their calls because you know the conversation will be enriching. Even when the conversation is about ordinary things, you walk away feeling like you’ve become a better person for just having spent time with them.

Monday night as I approached my house, I noticed there was a box on my front step. My new friend, Pua, had sent Auburn Aries and me “Sunshine in a Box.” A gift from Cali. A random act of welcomed kindness.

Inside there was a card and as I read it, I could feel the lump in my throat begin to grow. Pua had sent us handmade scarves. Mine is aquamarine and green. I took this beautiful new scarf and held it and could feel Pua’s amazing energy. It is the most beautiful scarf I have ever seen.

Hot Toddy saw it for the first time this morning and said it looked like a Monet painting and that it was the color of water (okay, not dirty-Dago-beach water but Caribbean-take-your-breath-away water), befitting a Piscean Woman.

Auburn Aries' scarf is pink, her favorite color. As I handed Aries her scarf she was in awe.

AA: Where did **these** come from?
AP: My friend Pua made them.
AA: You can MAKE a scarf?
AP: *laughs* Now you sound like Toddy! Yes, you can make a scarf!
AA: Why did she make and send us scarves?
AP: Because she loves us and she wanted us to have them.
AA: Tell her I said thank you and I love her, too.

As you may have read in my post yesterday, Auburn Aries had a rough day. She’s been fighting a cold and had the earring problem. We stayed home yesterday and laid low. Around 12:30 p.m. I checked in on her in her TV room. She was naked, curled up on her Papason chair. I laughed until I realized her cheeks were pink. Very, very pink.

I took her temperature and she had a fever. Par for the course based on the day we were having. The fever explained why she was naked (or to use her new word…”nude”).

She remained nude all day long. Watching movies, having lunch, doing crafts. Didn’t matter. She was comfortable in her own skin, not feeling well, nude. Except for one small thing… She had her new pink scarf that Pua made her tied around her neck. She had tied it such that one end of the scarf dropped down the entire length of her body. It was the cutest thing I’ve ever seen.

We left in the afternoon to gas up my car and run to the grocery store, but not before we donned our new scarves for the ride. As we sat at the Shell station filling up, a beautiful Dodge Ram pulled up and a beautiful man stepped out of it. As his feet hit the ground, he glanced over at me sitting in my car. And then took a double take. It made me smile. I had caught his eye and I knew it was because of my vibrant, new scarf.

As he stood to fill his propane tank, he just kept looking at me. I was very flattered and very thankful to Pua for my new accessory. I wear a lot of black in the winter. In fact, I had on my black leather blazer in the car and the vibrant colors of my scarf seem to offset the black beautifully.

I got one more smile and nod from beautiful truck guy. Even though it was the wrong gender for me, (like Toddy said this morning) it doesn’t matter. Flattery is still flattery. If this scarf works like this on men, I can’t wait to wear it around a lesbian or two!

AAries got dressed this morning and again put on her scarf. She wanted to wear it to school. She couldn't wait to show-and-tell the back of the earring that was inside of her earlobe and her new scarf.

I have been stopped a dozen times today having been asked where I got it and where one could be purchased. I was very proud to tell them that my friend had made it for me.

By the way, also in that box was a bag of Lokelani’s Kanake Nuts for Hot Toddy. As I approached him downstairs in the parking garage this morning I said, “Hey, I have your nuts in my hand.” “Now there’s something I never thought I’d hear you say!” “Well, you can thank Pua for that.”

We stood and spoke of our friend and how she’s touched our lives. Pua, you are a kind and wonderful woman. You’ve touched my heart in so many ways. Even though we met in blogsphere and have never met each other in the conventional sense, I feel I’ve known you a lifetime. Thank you for being my friend.




No comments: