Friday, May 06, 2005

Happy Mother's Day to Me

Today Auburn Aries had a Mother's Day Event planned in her second grade class. It was from 9:00 - 9:50 a.m. 9:50...what's that all about? As the Moms and Grandmas entered the classroom, the teacher called the student's name at which point Aries walked up to me and took my hand. "You're seat is right here, Mommy" as she scooted the chair closer to her. I started to tear up the minute she approached me.

Being a Mom is the most rewarding thing in the world. It's also the hardest job I've ever had. Ever.

Aries unfolded a napkin and placed it on her desk in front of me. "Would you care for a cookie?" Though I'm not a sugar for breakfast kind of girl, I graciously accepted. She took one cookie and put it before me. I was shocked as hell to notice she didn't grab one for herself. Kids never pass up cookies. This was proof this day was just for me!

She sat next to me again and handed me a cut out picture of a tea cup that she had colored. She stapled another to the back and inside was a tea bag and a chocolate swizzel with a mint center (ew). Then she said she wanted to read something to me.

She picked up what looks like a placemat. It was laminated so it will last forever (or so I'm told). It read:

Dear Mom,

You are special because you help me when I'm sick. You are so special to me. You are there for me alot. So I want to be there for you. And do not, I say, do not ever change. I love you. xxxooo.

My favorite thing about you is that you are there for me. When I'm sick you took the day off for me. So I wouldn't get any sicker. Like I said last time, don't ever change.

Thank you for all the care you have done for me in all my life. You have had me these past eight years. You have done an awesome job at being my Mom. Thank you.

Love,
McKenna Haley Hendrickson
April 28, 2005

(Yes, it's worthy of her real name for the purposes of this post).

As she read it to me, I was touched. My heart ached. I couldn't have loved this little girl any more than I did at that moment. My eyes had swelled with tears. I was trying to fight them back so I wouldn't screw up my makeup.

She looked up and me to see my reaction.

"Mommy, today is all about tears so it's okay to cry."

The kids were then called out into the hallway and brought in in groups. She was in the "Prom" group. They danced around as the teacher read a poem to us Mom's, as she did with each group.

We sat and visited and had lemonade. She kept a hold of my hand and would occassionally lay her head on my shoulder and tell me she loves me.

Before I left, she took me outside the back door to her classroom to give me my Mother's Day gift. There, in a leather Fossil purse I had in the closet for years, one that I had given her for this occasion, were plants. She had made a pot out of the purse.. My leather purse. The one I paid a hundred damn dollars for years ago that I didn't know was going to be turned into a planter.

There were a couple of chicken-and-hen plants and others that I know by sight and not name. It was full of plants. The leather was soaked all the way through and after I did my minor shutter at the sight of my leather purse turned potted plant, I looked up to see her - standing proud, smiling from ear-to-ear.

"Happy Mother's Day, Mommy. Do you like it?"

"I love it, Baby. But I'll never love it as much as I love you."

For every time that little shit has made me crazy, and for every time she's sassed me and flipped my trigger, and for every time she's left her room a pig sty and not cleaned it, I forgive you little one. I love you, too.

No comments: