Thursday, March 01, 2007

Special Friends Day

Today was Special Friends Day at Auburn Aries elementary school. Just to share a little of my morning, their teacher had created an interview sheet as something to do while we were visiting. Aries had a good time with this one, though I suspect I've simply verified her thoughts that I'm *gasp* old...

AA: What was it like when you were my age.
AP: Things were a lot slower. It seemed easier to stop and smell the roses.
AA: But I can smell 'em now.
AP: Exactly.
AA: Mom. Whatever.

AA: What was the style when you were my age?
AP: Bell-bottomed pants and shirts with crazy colors on them.
AA: What the heck are bell-bottoms?
AP: Pants with leg holes so big they covered your whole shoe.
AA: Ew. Gross.

AA: Were there fast food restaurants when you were a kid?
AP: How old do you think I am? Yes, there was McDonald's, Taco Bell and Jack in the Box - though they really hadn't been around very long.
AA: Did you used to get a Happy Meal?
AP: No there weren't such thing as Happy Meals, but hamburgers were a nickel. Sheesh!

AA: What music did you listen to?
AP: Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
AA: What the…you're weird Mom.

AA: What was it like to not have TV, CDs, answering machines, and cell phones?
AP: We had a TV; we listened to records on a record player where a needle touches the record as it goes around for the sound to come out; we actually answered the phone when it rang; and we waited until we were at home to call someone or we stopped and used a pay phone.

AA: Did you really walk to school two miles each way in the snow?
AP: No, I walked to school in sandals because it was hot in San Diego and it wasn't miles away, it was only a few blocks away.

With my impending birthday on Monday and 44 being unavoidably within my reach, I find myself working from home torn between reaching for or letting go of my youth. Poor Aries is probably wondering why I'm not using a walker to get around. Eh, when she's 44 she'll look back and see what I see now. That's the beauty of it all.

No comments: