Friday, March 17, 2006

It takes more than strong fingers

The birthday post will be next but...

I joined a health club this week. It's a third generation locally owned club that allowed me to sign up Auburn Aries as well.

The woman who signed me up spoke about it being a family club at which point I interjected with my "yeah, family club...riiiiight. It's on the news constantly about adolescent obesity yet clubs won't let children join..."

When she said they would, it stopped me dead in my tracks. My eyes welled up with tears. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. There's hope for my little one. If I can get her in good workout habits now, she'll have them for a lifetime.

Since Aries is a little under the age they normally accept kids (which is 10) she had to get special permission from the owner. When they agreed, I cried. When I told Aries, she smiled so hard and for so long she said she couldn't get the smile off her face.

Aries met with her trainer yesterday and since she stayed home today with a sore throat, she accompanied me to meet with my personal trainer. After an amazing, kick-my-ass kind of workout, we did some cardio and a few laps in the pool. Yes, the mermaid is still lurking inside of her. She did fantastic and it was great for her confidence.

By the time we left, I was fatigued (in a good way). I worked muscles that have been on sabbatical. Aries said every time we leave the gym, she can't wait until the next time we go back. She said it's a lot of work but she "won't ever have to be this size again" and the work is worth it.

I've had a monthly visitor the past three days and though she's making an exit, I needed to tend to her when I got home. You know you've had an intense workout when you go to put a tampon in and you haven't the strength in your arm to plunge the inner tube up into the insertion tube. Oh my hell. I got that bastard half way in and absolutely could not push any farther.

Stunned, I grabbed it with my left hand - to no avail. Completely exasperated I dropped both hands by my side, slumped my shoulders, looked down and said, "YOU'VE GOTTA BE KIDDING ME." While laughing my ass off alone in the bathroom and with a two handed effort, I was finally successful.

I don't recall seeing a disclaimer about loss of use of certain parts of your body once you work out. Just goes to show how long it's been since I've been to a gym. Oh well, those days are gone. So, if say, Hot Toddy or Pony were to call and ask me to meet them at C.C.'s I'd have to tell them that a.) I have to go to the gym first because it's more important and b.) that someone would have to move my drink closer in front of me so the straw in my Margarita reaches my mouth. It'll be the true test of friendship. They could very well be mean to me and watch me struggle, but I doubt it.

No comments: